Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct is designed to clarify Bangkok Community Theatre’s expectations on how members, performers, production staff and all volunteers must conduct themselves whilst involved in the activities of the company. By following this Code of Conduct, your reputation, and the brand and reputation of Bangkok Community Theatre, will be upheld and protected.
The Code also seeks to provide for a safe, enjoyable and equitable environment for all, in the undertaking their role within Bangkok Community Theatre.
Bangkok Community Theatre is committed to ensuring the integrity and highest ethical standards in respect of our members, our staff and our volunteers. Underlying this commitment is the need for Bangkok Community Theatre to ensure that all persons contributing to the success of Bangkok Community Theatre act with dignity, honesty, integrity and with respect towards others.
How Does the Code of Conduct Apply To You?
Every member, performer, production staff and volunteer of Bangkok Community Theatre is expected to perform his/her role in accordance with this Code of Conduct.
Performers and production staff are encouraged to:
- Participate, for the enjoyment you will receive through theatrical performance,
- Work equally for yourself and the production, the production will benefit and so will you,
- Abide by the principles of theatre etiquette,
- Abide by the policies and practices of Bangkok Community Theatre as they apply,
- Co-operate with the director, all members of the production team and fellow cast members,
- Commit wholeheartedly to the production, rehearsals and activities.
- You have the responsibility for your cast and production team – exercise it.
- Be reasonable in your demands on performers’ time, energy and enthusiasm. Remember that they have other interests and demands on their time.
- Teach your cast the principles of theatre etiquette and stage craft and encourage gratification through achievement.
Bangkok Community Theatre will provide every member, performer, production staff and volunteer with a copy of this Code and brief volunteers, where requested. If anyone has a question on the Code they should consult any BCT committee members or Production Manager in the first instance.
This Code may be amended from time to time, where necessary. Bangkok Community Theatre will distribute updated copies and changes of the Code will be expected to be adhered to. This document is not designed to be exhaustive, but all involved in Bangkok Community Theatre activities will be expected to uphold both the letter and spirit of the Code.
In addition to complying with the above, all are expected to:
- treat everyone with dignity and courtesy;
- be fair, considerate and honest in all dealings with others;
- refrain from any behaviour which may bring Bangkok Community Theatre into disrepute;
- display control, respect and professionalism in all activities;
- observe proper meeting conduct and protocols;
- be courteous in dealings with other Bangkok Community Theatre people;
- control their temper: verbal abuse of others in the course of Bangkok Community Theatre activities is unacceptable; and not behave in any manner, or engage in any activity, whilst on Bangkok Community Theatre business which is likely to impair positive public perception of Bangkok Community Theatre and its members;
- abide with the code of conduct or conditions of use, of the venue being used.
Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Bullying
Members, performers, production staff and volunteers are expected to respect the rights, dignity and worth of others regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background or religion or of their physical or psychological disabilities.
Bangkok Community Theatre will not tolerate discrimination. Discrimination is any behavior or practice which reflects an assumption of superiority of one group (or individual) over another or disadvantages people on the basis of their real or perceived membership of a particular group and includes such behaviour as less favorable treatment, unfair exclusion and asking discriminatory questions.
Bangkok Community Theatre will not tolerate sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is any unwanted, unwelcome or uninvited behaviour of a sexual nature which makes a person feel humiliated, intimidated or offended.
Equally, Bangkok Community Theatre will not tolerate bullying. Bullying is behavior that intimidates, offends, degrades, insults or humiliates another person. Bullying can be physical or psychological.
Examples of bullying include:
- aggressive or frightening behaviour;
- threats of assault against a colleague or damage to their property or equipment;
- rude comments;
- standing in someone’s way or deliberately blocking their path in an intimidating manner.
If anyone feels they have been discriminated against, bullied or harassed in any way they should immediately contact the Production Manager or BCT committee members in the first instance for immediate and confidential assistance.
Health and Safety
Everyone has the right to participate in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe.
Members, performers, production staff and volunteers are asked to take responsibility for their own health and safety, ensuring that their actions do not risk the health and safety of others. All are required to take reasonable care at all times by following all lawful instructions from those in authority at Bangkok Community Theatre in its efforts towards providing a healthy and safe environment.
All hazards, accidents or injuries must be reported to the Bangkok Community Theatre representative in charge of the activity. Incident report forms are required to be completed and forwarded to the administrative officer.
Alcohol and Drug consumption
Illegal or prohibited drugs are not to be consumed by members, performers, production staff and volunteers while performing duties with Bangkok Community Theatre. Alcohol may be consumed to the extent it does not affect the comfort, safety or performance of any member, performer, production staff or volunteer nor harm the reputation of Bangkok Community Theatre.
In the context of this provision, anyone exhibiting signs of being intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol, or an illegal or prohibited drug will be prevented from commencing, recommencing or continuing their activity.
If anyone has a grievance or feels that they have been unfairly treated they are encouraged to raise this issue with any member of the committee for immediate and confidential assistance. The management of Bangkok Community Theatre is committed to uphold both the letter and spirit of this Code and the mediation and resolution of any grievance in an expeditious manner.